Note: This post grew pretty lengthy, so I broke it up into three pages:
Navigation is also at the bottom of each page.
The Problem With Side Hustle Lists
It is incredibly easy to come up with huge lists of side hustle ideas. Literally, anyone can do it (and you’re about to see this in action…). If you ever want to write a stupid-easy blog post, just do a post called “1000+ Side Hustle Ideas” and watch it go viral.
Don’t believe me? Observe…
Right now I’m sitting at my desk. Idea #1: Assemble desks in new office buildings. Idea #2: Take down desks in old office buildings. Idea #3: Repurpose/restore old desks and sell on Craigslist. Idea #4: Design kitschy desks for spendthrift hipsters. Idea #5: Find the one person in the world who will pay for a picture of you sitting nude on a desk, and sell a “Nude on Desk” photo to that person.
Boom! Five ideas in less than thirty seconds! None of which you will ever consider doing. That is about par for the course when it comes to big lists of side hustle ideas. Basically, if I throw enough darts, eventually a reader might say, “Hey, I could do that!”
I could write ideas all day. And in fact, a lot of people have…
- 7 Ideas From MadameNoire
- 20 Ideas From Elite Daily
- 31 Ideas From SuperMoney
- 37 Ideas From The Art of Manliness
- 50 Ideas From The College Investor
- 79 Ideas From Side Hustle Nation
- 114 Ideas From Broke Girl Rich (this girl’s blog is actually pretty awesome)
Among these lists were the following ideas (yes, these were actually on those lists), that could be classified as:
- Jobs (Join the Military? Work Overtime? Start a Vending Machine Company?)
- Gambling (Online Sports Betting)
- Investing (Use Lending Club or Prosper)
- Oft-mentioned but universally impossible to obtain (Is anyone really hiring personal shoppers?)
- Hilarious (Sharpen knives? Be a Gun Tutor?)
- Horrifyingly inefficient (If I hear about one more pay-per-survey site I swear I’m gonna hire that gun tutor.)
- Degrading (Shower Cleaner? Rent-a-Friend? Phone Sex Operator? Professional Cuddler?)
- Scumbaggery (Club Promoter)
- Illegal (Sell Weed? Thanks Elite Daily)
- Not for the faint of heart (Participate in medical trials?)
- Highly targeted (Become a Doula? Dial-a-Santa? Bueller?)
There’s a reason a sane person can (and usually will) look at a list of hundreds of side hustles and take no items for action. To a given person, a certain side hustle will just make them grab nuts and shrug, whilst they head back to his or her normal employment. You know why? For a side hustle to be worth doing, it must be:
A) something you enjoy doing anyway, thus not feeling like work; or,
B) something you can do better than the average person, thus making it more lucrative than it normally would be.
(Preferably, your reason is ‘A.’)
If I peddle a list of 200 odd jobs, nearly all of them will sound terrible to a given person. Each job will require a certain person with a certain level of interest to take notice and take action. That is why articles titled “50 Great Side Hustle Ideas” are total misnomers, since those ideas probably suck to just about everyone.
This is why my list on the next page is called “15 Terrible Side Hustle Ideas.” Because, to a certain person, most of them will be terrible, but hopefully one of them will strike a chord. If none do, then head over to one of those lists I link to right above, and maybe you’ll find better luck (Spoiler Alert: You Won’t).
So, proceed to the next page for my list of side hustle ideas that I feel I can actually speak about with competence…